submit your news
The Events Industry Council Honours Recipient of IMEX-EIC Innovation in Sustainability Award
The Events Industry Council, in partnership with IMEX, has announced this year’s recipient of the IMEX-EIC Innovation in Sustainability Award, and presented the honour to the Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center. The IMEX-EIC Innovation in Sustainability Award was designed to recognise event professionals who are driving sustainability forward through innovation, collaboration and idea sharing. Announced last night at IMEX Frankfurt, the team from Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center was recognised for its significant contributions in improving event business operations with a particular focus on creative approaches to repurposing event materials to support community initiatives.
“This year’s recipient has demonstrated a significant commitment to effective waste diversion and focused on ways materials could support the community instead of adding to landfills,” said Karen Kotowski, CAE, CMP, CEO, Events Industry Council. “The actions the Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center have taken are leading examples of how to be a part of the solution in protecting our planet and also make a huge impact by providing reusable materials to those in need.”
Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center demonstrated a focus on innovation in the creative recycling of event materials and collaborated with others in finding a use for the materials. The key initiatives recognised include:
The Events Industry Council’s more than 30 member organizations represent over 103,500 individuals and 19,500 firms and properties involved in the events industry. The Events Industry Council promotes high standards and professionalism in the events industry with the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program and signature program initiatives. The four signature programs — Sustainability, Industry Insights, Knowledge, and Leadership — represent the key initiatives, assets, services and products for the Events Industry Council. Our Sustainability Committee produces several resources and how-to guides, hosts monthly webinars on sustainable meeting practices and publishes a monthly sustainability newsletter. Learn more at www.eicsustainability.org.
- Community donations of over 200,000 pounds of material. This saved over 540 metric tons of carbon pollution and supported projects including:
- The donation of set design material to support five local middle school theater programs
- Support of a local artist through carpet donations to be used to create a picture mosaic representing women's rights and equality awareness
- Over 50,000 pounds of used chairs were shipped to Ghana to support education centers and schools in Africa.
- This team also set a new record for the concurrent achievement of the APEX/ASTM Sustainable Event Standards. By forming a green team with representatives from five separate organisations, they were all able to achieve the certification together.
Congratulations to the Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center for their contribution to sustainability in our industry and for earning the 2018 IMEX-EIC Innovation in Sustainability Award.
FIND IT - MARKETPLACE